The intricately indented coastline of the island of Losinj, twin to the island of Cres, provides great bays and shores to explore. Two main towns, Mali Losinj, and Veli Losinj, display cheery lines of pastel-hued seafront houses built for 19th century sea captains. Relatively uninhabited until the 1800s, Losinj drew the attention of wealthy Europeans seeking coastal retreats, building elegant homes for visitors from Vienna and Budapest. The nature of the island, including 1100 plant species, 230 of which are medicinal herbs, is inviting and beautiful, with abundant wildlife. The island hosts the Blue World Institute of Marine Research and Conservation, and is credited with the first dolphin reserve in the Mediterranean.
Where is Losinj Island?
Loinj is part of the Cres-Loinj archipelago which also inlcuded smaller islands of Unije, Ilovik, Susak, Vele Srakane, Male Srakane and a number of uninhabited small islands. Cres is the biggest by area, Lošinj is second. Cres and Lošinj are connected by a small bridge at Osor. It has an area of about 29 square miles and population of around 8,000.
Losinj Tourist BoardRiva Losinjskih Kapetana 29, Losinj
+385 (0)51 231 884
Attractions and Activities on Losinj Island1. Ancient Tower: Renaissance round tower built in the mid 15th century by the Venetian rulers
2. Legend of St. Gaudentius: Visit a church erected to his memory and explore this magical legend
3. Unique Bronze Statue Apoxyomenos: Bronze statue Apoxyomenos found in 1996 from 1st century BC
4. Vransko Lake: A natural phenomenon, the lake surface is several meters above sea level
5. Church of St. Anthony: Impressive Baroque parish church with a tall bell tower rising at the seaside
6. Losinj Aromatic Garden: Small, but has lot of different beautiful flowers, butterflies, and donkeys
7. Cikat Forest Park: Man-made ecosystem resulted from efforts to shape the landscape in harmony
8. Blue World: Get informed about 200 bottlenose dolphins in the sea around Losinj
9. Sports: Enjoy sailing, water skiing, windsurfing, parachute jumping and many other sports
10. Festival of Fragrances: Great festival held every first Saturday in month in pre- and post-season
Restaurants, Bars, and Cafes on Losinj Island1. Restaurant Mol: Mediterranean cuisine; Rovenska 1, Veli Losinj; www.gastronaut.hr
2. Konoba Ribarska Koliba: Mediterranean cuisine; Obala M. Tita 1, Veli Losinj; www.gastronaut.hr
3. Restaurant Fortuna: Fish specialties, Croatian cuisine; Sestavina 3, Veli Losinj; www.velilosinj.info
4. Gostionica Marina: Mediterranean cuisine; Obala M. Tita 38, Veli Losinj; www.gostionica-marina.hr
5. Bora Bar: Mediterranean cuisine; Rovenska 3, Veli Losinj; www.borabar.net
Hotels and Accommodations on Losinj Island1. Hotel Bellevue: Beautiful hotel; 5-star; $$; Cikat 9, Mali Losinj; www.losinj-hotels.com
2. Vitality Hotel Punta: Great hotel; 4-star; $; Sestavine bb, Veli Losinj; www.losinj-hotels.com
3. Hotel Manora: Great hotel; 4-star; $; Mandalenska 26b, Mali Losinj; www.manora-losinj.hr
4. Wellness Hotel Aurora: Good hotel; 4-star; $$; Sunacna uvala 4, Mali Losinj; www.losinj-hotels.com
5. Mare Mare Suite: Apartments: 4-star; $$; Riva los. kapetana 36, Mali Losinj; www.mare-mare.com
Camps near Losinj Island1. Camp Cikat: Great camp; 3-star; Cikat 6A, Mali Losinj; www.camp-cikat.com
2. Camp Poljana: Great camp; 3-star; Poljana, Mali Losinj; www.campingpoljana.com
3. Camp Rapoca: Nice camp; 2-star; Rapoca bb, Nerezine; www.losinia.hr
4. Camp Bijar: Cool location, nice camp; 2-star; Osor bb, Nerezine; www.camp-bijar.com
5. Camping Preko Mosta: Cool location, good camp; 2-star; Osor 8, Nerezine; www.jazon.hr
Google Map of Recommendations for on Losinj IslandSee ART Google Map for additional recommendations of places to see and things to do on Losinj Island.
Explore other destinations in Croatia.