Big and busy, Rijeka has been a port city since Roman times, followed by 7th century Slavic domination, then German, Frankish, and Austro-Hungarian rule. As an important seaport for the Austrian Empire, a road from Vienna to the coast brought trade and development in 1725. In 1873, rail links ignited the tourism industry. After the fall of the Austrian Empire, a succession of ruling countries controlled the port until Croatia gained independence in 1991. A large Italian population remains, and the area still boasts fine examples of Baroque, belle époque, and Italianate architecture.
Where is Rijeka?Rijeka is Croatia's main seaport and the third-largest city in Croatia. Rijeka has a population of about 130,000 inhabitants.
Tourist Board in RijekaKorzo 14, Rijeka
+385 (0) 51 335882
Attractions and Activities in Rijeka1. Trsat Castle: First mentioned in 1288, one of the oldest fortifications on the Croatian Coast
2. Kastav: City with a small, partially walled historic center
3.Peek and Poke Computer Museum: Find out about the history of computers and see retro ones
4. Croatian National Theater: Built in 1885 as a city theatre in classical Austro-Hungarian style
5. Orthodox St. Nicholas Church: Built in 1790, followed by an interesting legend about the site
6. Mazuranic-Brlic-Ruzic Library: Cultural monument of the Republic of Croatia since 1946
7. Korzo: Main promenade and meeting-point for citizens of Rijeka with numerous old buildings
8. Maritime and Historical Museum: A window to past located in the beautiful Governor’s Palace
9. St. Vitus Cathedral: The only Baroque rotunda of monumental dimensions built in Croatia (in 1638)
10. City Tower: Built in the Middle Ages, this city symbol dominates the central part of Korzo
Restaurants, Bars, and Cafes in Rijeka1. La Rose Bistro: French cuisine; Andrije Medulica 8, Rijeka; www.bistro-la-rose.com
2. Konoba Nebuloza: Croatian cuisine; Titov trg 2b, Rijeka; www.konobanebuloza.com
3. Konoba Na Kantunu: Croatian cuisine; Wenzelova 4, Rijeka; www.gastronaut.hr
4. Konoba Feral: Croatian cuisine; Matije Gupca 5b, Rijeka; www.konoba-feral.com
5. Gvardijan Pizzeria: Pizza and Mexican; Frankopanski trg 9, Trsat, Rijeka; www.gvardijanpizzeria.com
Hotels and Accommodations in Rijeka1. Best Western Jadran: Great hotel; 4-star; $$; XIII divizije 46, Rijeka; http://bestwestern.com
2. Grand Hotel Bonavia: Beautiful hotel; 4-star; $$; Dolac 4, Rijeka; www.bonavia.hr
3. Hotel Continental: Great hotel; 4-star; $$; A. K. Miočića 1, Rijeka; www.jadran-hoteli.hr/continental
4. Hotel Neboder: Good hotel; 3-star; $;Strossmayerova 1, Rijeka; www.jadran-hoteli.hr/neboder
5. Costabella: Apartments: 3-star; $; Opatijska 33, Rijeka; www.apartmani-jardas-costabella.hr
Camps near RijekaCamping Preluk: Nice location; 2-star; Preluk 1, Rijeka www.camping.hr
Google Map of Recommendations for RijekaSee ART Google Map for additional recommendations on places to see and things to do in Rijeka: http://www.adriaticroadtrip.com/p/adriatic-road-trip.html.
Explore other destinations in Croatia: http://www.adriaticroadtrip.com/p/cit.html.