An old fishing town in the Slovenian side of the Istrian Peninsula, Izola has its own blend of ancient and contemporary influences. As the Roman city of Haliaeum in the 2nd century B.C., Izola began its long series of transformations. In the 7th century, it was a town established on an island with refugees from Aquileia. A wall that was previously constructed to fortify the city during the Napoleonic era was later destroyed and used to fill the channel that separated the island from the mainland, providing a direct connection to the rest of Slovenia. Thermal springs discovered in the 1820s began to draw tourism, followed by a creative class of artists that continue to celebrate with a summer festival. The town has its share of old, yet the new is beginning to take hold with dancing at a discotheque and club style entertainment. As with many destinations through the region, there is a delightful combination of different ages of culture, with a friendly population that welcomes visitors with good hospitality, delicious cuisine, and comfortable accommodations.
Where is Izola?Izola is an old fishing town on the Adriatic coast of southwestern Slovenia with a population of around 16,000.
Izola Tourist BoardSoncno nabrezje 4, Izola
+386 5 640 10 50
Attractions and Activities in Izola1. Manzioli Palace: Built in 1470; currently hosts art exhibitions
2. Simonov Zaliv: Archaeological Park with ancient Roman remains
3. Salet Tunnel: 244 m long tunnel; part of the path of health and friendship for walks or cycling
4. City Park: Enjoy concerts in Pietro Coppo city park and a reproduction of the first Istrian stone map
5. Church of St. Mary of Haliaetum: The oldest church in Izola
6. Panoramic Boat Trips: Enjoy all-day picnics and trips along the Slovenian Coast
7. Model Ship Museum: A museum dedicated to the history of shipbuilding in Istria
8. Scoula Battuti Oratory: Gothic oratory of the Brotherhood of Flagellants Scuola, erected in 1451
9. Trg Padlih: Memorial dedicated to soldiers and victims of fascist violence, erected in 1946
10. Historic Sights: There are many interesting, significant details around town, like Ugo family plaque
Restaurants, Bars, and Cafes in Izola1. Restaurant Gust: Slovenian cuisine, Seafood; Drevored 1. Maja 5, Izola; www.gostilnica-gust.si
2. Restaurant Bujol: Seafood; Verdija 10, Izola; www.slovenia.info/si/gostilne
3. Restaurant Marina: Mediterranean cuisine; Veliki trg 11, Marina, Izola; www.hotelmarina.si
4. Hisa Torkla: Mediterranean cuisine, Seafood; Korte 44b, Izola; www.slovenia.info/si/gostilne
5. Moby Dick Restaurant: Mediterranean cuisine; Dantejeva 4, Izola; www.facebook.com/mobydickizola
Hotels and Accommodations in Izola1. Hotel Haliaetum: Beautiful hotel; 4-star; $$; Morova 6A, Izola; www.bernardingroup.si
2. Marina Hotel: Good hotel; 3-star; $; Veliki trg 11, Izola; www.hotelmarina.si
3. Hotel Keltika: Good hotel; 3-star; $; Cesta V Jagodje 1, Izola; www.keltika.si/
4. Hotel Belvedere: Nice hotel; 3-star; $; Dobrava 1a, Izola; www.belvedere.si
5. Apartments Izola: Apartments; 3-star; $; Kajuhova 23a, Izola; www.slovenia.info
Camps near Izola1. Camping Jadranka: Nice beaches and location; 1-star; Polje 8, Izola; http://www.avtokampi.si/
2. Camping Belvedere: Nice camp; 2-star; Dobrava 1A, Izola; http://www.avtokampi.si/
Google Map of Recommendations for IzolaSee ART Google Map for additional recommendations of places to see and things to do in Izola.
Explore other destinations in Slovenia and Croatia.