The earthy town of Labin stands proudly above Rabac, overlooking the bright blue waters of the Kvarner Gulf on the east coast of Croatia's Istrian Peninsula. Looking back 2,000 years, the castellum of Kunci occupied nearly that same space during the Bronze Age. Around the 4th century BC, the Celts founded Albona upon the ruins, carrying the name forward to a 3rd century Roman relief announcing "Res Publica Albonessium," the Roman Republic of Albonia. The town earned the title of a republic once again during its history, as coal miners from the area's four mines went on strike in 1921 forming what was termed an "anti Fascist rebellion". Today, the mines are all closed but the spirit of the town continues to inspire independence. Contemporary Labin is a hub of nature, from its hiking trails and beautiful hillsides, to its art galleries, natural bath product shops, artisan bakery and cheese shop, to its health spas and locally sourced homespun restaurants. It is a town engaged with nature in every respect, looking to earn a reputation as a place of health and wellness. There is a clever miniature coal mine that celebrates the town's heritage, even though the current focus is on culture and business.
Where is Labin?Labin is a town in Istria with a town population of about 7,000 people.
Labin Tourist BoardAldo Negri 20, Labin
+385 (0)52 855 560
Attractions/Activities1. Glavani Park: Fun and adventures for families; adrenaline rush
2. Girandella: Girandella is diving center offering water adventures
3. Porta Sanfior: Main city door (1589); memorabilia of mixed Venetian and Austrian administration
4. Rabac: Well-known summer tourist resort, former small fishing village
5. Chruch of Blessed Mary Virgin’s Birth: Three-nave church built in 1336
6. Battiala-Lazzarini Palace: Baroque Palace currently serving as town museum
7. Town Loggia: Former center of city life, now collection of stone monuments, dating from 1550
8. Astra: Horses at the seaside
9. City Art Gallery: Local and national artwork
10. Memorial of Matija Vlacic Ilirik: Collection of one Croatia’s most famous intelectuals
Restaurants, Bars, and Cafes in Labin1. Restaurant Due Fratelli: Seafood; Montozi 6, Labin; www.due-fratelli.com
2. Elit Fast Food: Fast food; Zelenice 10, Labin; www.elitfood.com
3. RestaurantMarkus: Fish and meat specialties; Ripenda breg 36a, Labin; www.markus.hr
4. Sipe Bar Gallery: Bar with blues music; Maja 4, Labin; www.facebook.com/sipe.bar
5. Restaurant Kvarner Labin: Croatian cuisine; Set. San Marco, Labin; www.kvarnerlabin.com
Hotels and Accommodations in Labin1. Zahtila Apartment: Nice apartmants; 4-star; $; Snasici 3H, Labin; www.apartmani-zahtila.com
2. Apartments Villa Venera: Single apartmants; 3-star; $; Smolici 4A, Labin; www.villavenera.com
3. B&B Morena: Cozy place to stay; 3-star; $ Presika 11, Labin; www.booking.com
4. B&B Rogocana: cozy place; 5-star; $$$; Rogocana 1, Labin; www.rabac-labin.com
5. Holiday Home Kapelica IX: Home away; star; $ Labin bb, Labin; www.villas.com
Camps near Labin1. Camping Marina: Lovely campsite; 3-star; Sveta Marina bb, Labin; www.camping-adriatic.com
2. Camp Tunarica: Nice enviroment; 1-star; Rudarska 1, Labin; www.tunarica.hr
3. Mini-Camping Romantik: Wonderful camp; 3-star; Kapelica 47b, Labin; www.camping.hr
Google Map of Recommendations for LabinSee Best of Istria Google Map for additional recommendations of places to see and things to do in Labin.
Explore other destinations in Istria and Croatia.