On the west coast of the Istrian Peninsula, the ancient town of Porec sits majestically on its own small stretch. A military installation, or castrum, established by the Romans in the first century, it was later named the municipality Parentium. Its origin is still debated among experts between Greece, Illyrium, and Venice. Ruins harking back to the first century include the Temple of Neptune and Temple of Mars, emphasizing the city's historic past. Known for its stunning, 6th century Byzantine landmark, the Euphrasius Basilica stands today on a foundation built in the 3rd century, complete with original floor mosaics. The Venetian, Gothic, and Baroque architectural influences are magnificent, with examples like Zucchato Palace, House of Two Saints, Parisi Gonano Lion House, Romanesque House, Sincic Palace, and many others lining the historic streets of the old town. The glorious age when Porec was the political center of Istria is reflected in the halls of the ornate Istrian Parliament. Today, classical concerts ring through the Euphrasius Basilica, wine enthusiasts gather during Vinistra at the end of April to sip the region's best vintages, and vacationers enjoy a relaxing, comfortable, Mediterranean resort with great local cuisine and fascinating art, both ancient and contemporary.
Where is Porec?Porec/Parenzo is a town on the western coast of the Istrian peninsula and has a population of about 17,000.
Porec Tourist BoardZagrebacka 9, Porec
+385 (0) 52 451293
Attractions and Activities in Porec1. Porec Old Town: Porec old town is well-known for gastronomic and artistic experiences
2. Euphrasius Basilica: Located in the city center, Basilica is a real jewel
3. Jama Grotta Baredine: Interesting cave, monument of the nature
4. Round Tower: One of the classical parts of the mediterranean architecture
5. Segway View: Use Segway to get to know most pitoresque and romantic spots around
6. Romanesque House: Interesting structure from 13th century, now used as a gallery
7. Pentagonal Tower: Old tower offering great food and gread view
8. Istrian Assembly House: Historical spot important for Istria today
9. Tractor Story: For lovers of farm machinery and old tractors
10. Aquacolors Porec: Water fun for entire family
Restaurants, Bars, and Cafes in Porec1. Restaurant Arlen: Istrian cuisine; Vukovarska 26, Porec; www.restoran-arlen.com
2. Konoba Daniela: Istrian cuisine; Veleniki 15a, Porec; www.konobadaniela.com
3. Cafe del Mar: Nice coffie place; Obala marsala Tita 24, Porec; http://cafedelmar.hr/en
4. Restoran Peterokutna Kula: Istrian cuisine; Decumanus 1, Porec; www.kula-porec.com.hr
5. Restaurant Istarska Hiza: Istrian cuisine; Vila Grzina bb, Porec; www.istra.hr
Hotels and Accommodations in Porec1. Valamar Pinia Hotel: Beautiful hotel; 3-star; $; Spadici bb, Porec; www.valamar.com
2. Isabella Island Hotel: Island hotel; 4-star; $$; Sv Nikola island, Porec; www.valamar.com
3. Hotel Porec: Nice city hotel; 3-star; $; Rade Končara 1, Porec; www.hotelporec.com
4. Pical Hotel: Near sea and forests; 3-star; $; Borik, Porec; www.valamar.com
5. Hotel Laguna Parentium: Friendly hotel; 4-star; $$; Zelena laguna, Porec; http://hr.lagunaporec.com
Camps near Porec1. Lanterna Camping: Nice pebble beaches; 3-star; Lanterna 1, Tar; camping-adriatic.com
2. Ulika Naturist Peninsula Camo: Nice beaches; 4-star; Cervat Porat, Porec; www.plavalaguna.hr
3. Camping Bijela Uvala: Nice beaches; 4-star; Zelena laguna, Porec; http://lagunaporec.com
4. Camp Zelena Laguna: Beaches and nature; 4-star; Zelena laguna, Porec; http://lagunaporec.com
5. Camping Village Materada: Peninsula camp; 1-star; Materada 32, Porec; http://www.materada.hr
Google Map of Recommendations for Porec
See Best of Istria Google Map for additional recommendations of places to see and things to do in Porec.
Explore other destinations in Istria and Croatia.